i'm back, baby!


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I didn't quite believe it when Dr Low had told me I'd be able to run another half marathon this year with no problem.

After the big morale basher that was last year's race, I had held off running for months. And even when I started racing again, running was far from fun. It was always the leg I'd dreaded the most and all sorts of investments were made in patella guards, knee braces, stability shoes and custom molded insoles. It was only in Krabi this October that I'd felt like my knee had some semblance of being normal again. Yet I felt the threatening creak only 4km into the half marathon this morning, with 17km to go - Freaky.

But like NT says, as long as it's just a creak and tendonitis hasn't set in, keep going. And coming from an Ironman who battles the same injury, I figured this have been the right advice to heed.

So on today's 21km run, I set myself a few simple and attainable goals:

1) Keep running and don't stop to walk.
2) Don't get injured.
3) Cross the line with a smile.
4) Run without music.
5) Finish with my friend.

Check, check, check, check and check.

I must say I felt great throughout the entire run. Fed myself at the right times, was blessed by great weather and didn't face a niggle of a cramp. I raced at adventure-race pace the entire way and didn't feel taxed, so from the waist up I felt great. But from waist down, things were a little dodgy. So I concentrated on opening up my stride and lessening the impact of the run - Get out of the race in one piece. It was really quite frustrating thinking about whether or not I ought to go faster but hesistating for fear of putting my knees out of alignment.

Running with was great fun too - We shared running tips, both physical and mental, and invented a game to wile away the kilometres. She egged me on with my knee and I egged her on with her cramps. Rock maintain. Heh.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
coming in to finish

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
to many more runs!


Last year, I ran too hard for the first 16km, walked for about 5km before sprinting in for the last stretch. As a result, I crossed the line at 2hrs 35mins with a body so numbed by pain that I could hardly walk.

This year, I kept going all the way through and didn't stop to walk. The pace was slow but steady, with the goals clear in my head and a friend strong by my side. I crossed the line at 2hrs 45mins feeling absolutely fantastic and fresh as a daisy. And when the husband said he might go for a bike ride, I was even tempted at the thought. I must be getting somewhere!

Before the race, I'd made myself a promise: That if I could complete another half marathon without incurring another injury, I'd be in for Ironman 70.3 next September. That was the only condition I'd set myself. So needless to say, I'm in! There's no turning back now... And if I survive that, maybe a full marathon with Dad next year? Alright, so that's pretty ambitious but I guess we'll see!

12 out of 12 races have been completed for the year.

I'm out, dude.

Bring on, 2007.


0 Responses to “i'm back, baby!”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm Janice
  • From Singapore
  • Warning: Training diaries of a crazy little person who likes whizzing about and being silly.
  • My profile

Blabberbox

Piccies

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from ickleoriental. Make your own badge here.

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3